The Emerald Isle

AROUND AND ABOUT CORK Cork is Ireland’s second largest city, a busy harbor, and the cultural capital of the south. Most of the city’s business and shopping center is built on an island, well inland of the River Lee’s estuary, with many of the streets spanning former boat channels. The first famous settler here was St. Finbarr, who founded a monastery on the Lee in the seventh century. On the site of his monastery today is Cork’s fine 19th-century Church of Ireland cathedral, its three Gothic spires rising above surrounding buildings near the Lee’s southern channel. The Southwest LEFT: Saint Fin Barre’s Cathedral, is a cathedral of the Church of Ireland in Cork city. It is in the ecclesiastical province of Dublin. Begun in 1863, the cathedral was the first major work of the Victorian architect William Burges. ABOVE: These colorful houses in Cobh near Cork are refered to as “Deck of Cards Houses.” RIGHT: Blackrock Castle originates from the 16th century. It is a castellated fortification located at Blackrock, about 1.2 miles (2km) from the center of Cork city on the banks of the river Lee. The site now houses an observatory, visitor center, and restaurant. OVERLEAF: Shandon is a district in Cork city noted for “The Bells of Shandon,” a song celebrating the bells of the Church of St. Anne (pictured here) written by Francis Sylvester Mahony under the pen name of “Father Prout.” 202

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy NjA2NA==